Skip to main content

Salve Newsletter - Summer 2015




This year our Walsingham pilgrimage theme was "Mary, life giving Spring". 

We heard how the well is a place of refreshment, and sometimes a place where we receive more than the physical refreshment of the water itself. In the book of Genesis, Rachel and Rebecca go for water, and are given  husbands, and in the new testament, the woman at the  well goes with a bucket and has a divine encounter with a man who knows everything about her and brings a more profound refreshment as Jesus says to her "I am  he, the one who is speaking to you".

We can contemplate other bible passages relating to water coming from God. Ezekiel speaks of water flowing from the temple, this is picked up in the book of Revelation when John is shown "the river of the water of life,  bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and  of the lamb.

In the Gospel of St. John we hear the final words of Jesus, "It is finished" He is marking the completion of his ministry. The one who thirsts has now become the one from whom the waters will flow.

At Walsingham the well is a means by which Our Lady leads us to Jesus for a gift which she herself is incapable of giving. Only Jesus can satisfy the thirsty soul!

I heard the voice of Jesus say, "Behold I freely give The living water, thirsty one; Stoop down and drink and live"

I came to Jesus and I drank Of that life giving stream; My thirst was quenched my soul revived, And now I live in him.   

The Fraternity wish Deiniol God's blessing following his departure to new pastures and we pray for Mrs Ann Neely as our newly-elected Warden.   



It was in 1936 that an anonymous gift allowed the work to begin in 1937, on the Pilgrimage Church, with fifteen altars dedicated to the mysteries of the Rosary. This work was finished in 1938.

We arrived in Walsingham for the dedication late in the evening and a great welcome was given us by Fr Hope Patten and the Sisters. As far as I can remember it was the Horbury Sisters who were at the Shrine in those  days. The new Shrine Church was wonderful and  reminded us of churches in Italy, especially with the campanile piercing the sky. One is used to this now, but in the June of 1938, it was indeed very new. The formal  ceremonies took place on the Whit Monday.

On the Sunday, Bishop o'Rorke preached at the High Mass - such a moving sermon, many of us had tears in our eyes, especially when we contemplated all that had been accomplished, and in such a short time. At Evensong the same day a number of Orthodox prelates  arrived, and that evening little icon cards were distributed and we had them signed by Archbishop Nestor. The following day - Whit Monday - an air of great excitement pervaded the whole village, which was decorated with banners, bunting and greenery. At noon, the  Angelus bell rang out from the Parish Church and the procession set forth - priests, monks, nuns, scouts,  the Orthodox, the College of Guardians, Bishop o'Rorke and several thousand pilgrims, many of the ladies in blue or white veils. The Shrine Church was blessed inside  and out, hymns were sung and the Rosary was said.  The Shrine was almost complete, the orthodox chapel was to be built later, and we have since seen many more additions. How difficult it is to put into words the feelings of that day! When I sit back and think about it all,  it  flashes upon the memory and the old feelings are stirred up within me.

It was in 1948 that we started, as a family, to spend several weeks in Walsingham during the summer months. So the years have gone by what a lot I have to thank Walsingham for. Fr Hope Patten died in 1958 and many  changes have been made since his death. Nothing,  however can alter the marvel of Walsingham and the tremendous strength that can always be gained from the Holy House, How I thank God for all the priests I met and  the friends made, so many now passed to their reward. Walsingham is now known world wide, and all of  you who read these words will have been on pilgrimage,

For those who have passed beyond the veil, that they may have coolness, light and peace, for those still living, that they may continue fast in the faith - may Our Lady of Walsingham pray.



In his book ‘Walsingham Way’, Fr Colin Stephenson makes reference to Fr Fynes-Clinton, saying that he was one of the early pilgrims and a great supporter of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. ‘He erected a shrine of  Our Lady of Walsingham in St Magnus Church and  was active in arranging pilgrimages, particularly with the Catholic League, a papalist society of which he was the Director’. On one of their first pilgrimages the train kept  stopping with a jolt and the guard insisted that someone was pulling the communication cord. It was  discovered that a gallant lady called Miss Few, who used an ear-trumpet (inevitably known as ‘the faithful Few’) had  hooked an enormous banner on to the cord, so that when the train went round the bend, the pole slid along the floor and pulled the cord! At one point the  pilgrims were all thrown on to their backs when standing to say  the Salve Regina!

The Fraternity Clerk recently unearthed a Fraternity attendance book dating from 1929. The second entry is a Solemn Requiem ‘for departed benefactors, founders and members’ on November 21st 1929 and Miss Few -  Sister Few – is listed amongst the attendees. Miss Few  is next mentioned at the 8th AGM on December 12th 1929, when 35 members were present, and appears regularly until the last entry in the book – a Solemn  Requiem held on November 24th 1938. It would be interesting to know why there are no more entries as the book is  only half full.

The other early member was Miss Doyle-Smythe. In the early 1920’s through the activity of Fr Fynes- Clinton, the ‘Walsingham Clergy Fund’ was started in London to Support an Assistant Priest and to supplement the  inadequate stipend of the Living. Miss Doyle-Smythe  was the Secretary of the Fund and worked with great devotion to raise money and plead the cause of the impoverished Vicar.

Sister Doyle-Smith is mentioned as being present at the Requiem on November 21st 1929 and is last mentioned at the AGM on December 8th 1936 – 19 present.

Throughout this period, Fr Fynes Clinton is listed as the Provost and Edward Marshall as Clerk. Fr Fynes Clinton’s title changes from Provost to Master in 1936. It is interesting to note that there is no mention of a Warden.



Pat & Colin 1960 era                                                                                                                                                         Colin at Royal Philatelic Society  2014-15

was born on 1 May 1930 and baptised at St.Luke’s Kingston upon Thames.  [Then a Prayer Book Cathoic/English Missal parish]. The full faith was taught and they were strict about confession.

Following confirmation on 14 May 1947 and our first communion on Sunday 22 \June 1947, my middle brother Terry & I were asked if we would each become servers for a one of the weekday Low Masses by our curate Fr Jack Court, and I started serving at the 6.30am Mass on a Friday.  

At that time our parish priest was Fr Leslie Augustus Isaac, who prior to coming to St Luke's was curate in charge of the Good Shepherd, Carshalton from 1921-34.  He came first as one of the curates, and then appointed Vicar by Bp Richard Southwark following the death of Fr Herbert Hamer, in 1935.  

We were not allowed Benediction in the Diocese of Southwark and had to go across the river to Teddington to SS Peter & Paul for this. However, like a good number of churches which had Devotions to the Blessed Sacrament with the tabernacle door open, but no blessing.  We also had a ward of the CBS.

When I first went to work in the City of London in 1946, I used to go to the lunchtime High Mass at St Mary-le Strand.  Prior to my call-up into the Royal Air Force as a National Service entrant in 1948, I had visited a number of the City parishes including S. Ethelreda near my office which had a form of “Sarum” use and St Magnus which was boarded up due to bomb damage, although there was a crypt chapel open on certain weekdays. The day I looked in Mass had ended and a lady was singing the Salve Regina at the shrine of Our Lady, the first time I had heard this, especially in Latin in a parish church, and later discovered it was the seasonal anthem for the Fraternity of Our Lady de Salve Regina.

On my return to the City in 1950 I started going to the Crypt Chapel for Benediction until the re-opening of the Church and joined the serving team for the 12.15pm Sung Mass or High Mass on special days and Benediction on Tuesdays.  I was appointed Head MC by Fr Fynes after a year in succession to Captain Edward Marshall.   We had a good serving team who in the main fulfilled all the duties, and some of us also came to St Magnus for the Sunday 11.00am Mass, the 8.00 Low Mass was served by either Laurence Inkster [Churchwarden] or Brooke Lunn.   

On 15 December 1951 I became a member of the Fraternity and with Mary Seal we were responsible for singing the Salve on Fridays.  At the 1953 AGM the meeting elected me as Clerk for three years,  as Ted Marshall  wished to retire.  In 1955 at the AGM I handed over the office to Gerald Collins. 

In 1960 Patricia and I were married in St Magnus on 23 July and as Fr Fynes had died in December 1959 and there was an interregnum, the wedding was performed by my parish priest Fr John Allen from St.Luke’s and the nuptial mass said by Dom David Morgan OSB from Nashdom. On leaving the City in 1961, Gerald informed me that the Court had elected me as a Honorary Life Member.  I have greatly valued my membership of St Magnus and the Fraternity and come up to London whenever it is possible now that I have reached the exalted age of 85, but still active, 'Deo Gratias'